Faithful to the Teachings of the Roman Catholic Church, St. Raphael Parish promotes the Universal Call to Holiness for all the People of God by:
- Glorifying the Blessed Trinity in union with the Saints through the celebration of Holy Mass, the Sacraments and Devotions.
- Nurturing vocations to the Married Life, Single Life and Religious Life with the Holy Family as the model.
- Providing faith formation opportunities to parishioners and members of the community.
- Encouraging the fulfillment of Baptismal Promises through responsible stewardship of time, talent and treasure for the Church and those in need.
At the close of World War II the northwest suburbs of Crystal, New Hope, Brooklyn Park and Maple Grove experienced phenomenal growth. Archbishop John Gregory Murray recognized the need for a new Catholic church in the area. On June 30, 1951 he appointed Fr. Thomas Fenelon pastor of the newly formed St. Raphael Parish. The first Mass was celebrated on Sunday July 1, 1951 in the Abraham Lincoln School in Brooklyn Park.
A large cornfield was purchased from a local farmer and ground was broken for a new school in October 1951. While the school was being built, a rectory was built which served as a place to hold meetings and celebrate daily Mass. The school was finished in August 1952 and was dedicated by Archbishop Murray on September 7, 1952. Classes began that fall with the arrival of five Sisters of St. Joseph. Sunday Mass was held in the school gymnasium for almost nine years.
Ground was broken for the current church, rectory and offices in March 1960. Archbishop William O. Brady dedicated the Church of St. Raphael on July 9, 1961.
Since its incorporation, the Church of St. Raphael has been a prominent, respected leader in the larger community. As the surrounding area continued to grow, so did membership in the parish with over 3000 registered families by 1980.
As the number of programs and services grew so did the need for additional space. In 1991 St. Raphael added a 30,000 sq. ft. addition for offices, meeting rooms and a large reception hall.
In 2001 a new rectory (twin home) was built on the southwest corner of the campus. The old rectory was then converted into more office and meeting space.